If you want to throw further in the shot put event, you need to know which muscles will contribute to you putting the shot further with each attempt.
The first thing that you will want to develop is the explosive power and strength in your putting arm.
You will need to make sure that:
- Your arm can handle the load that the weight has on your arm.
- That you are able to push the weight of the shot that is loaded on your arm.
- That you are able to push/put the shot with quick speed to throw the shot put further than the other competitors.
Which upper body muscles do you need to develop strength and explosive power in?
- Front deltoid
What are some workouts that you can do?
- Explosive push-ups (Plyometric push-ups)
- Decline explosive push-ups
- Depth push-ups
- Single-arm push-ups
- Resistance band pushes
- Flat dumbbell press
- Incline dumbbell press
- Single-arm smith machine explosive press
- Skull crushers
- Tricep pushdown
- Pec flies
To further develop your explosiveness, consider doing the following.
- Single-arm medicine ball push throws (vertically)
- Single arm medicine ball push throws (horizontally for distance)
- Seated barbell pushes
- Seated dumbbell shoulder press
- Standing dumbbell shoulder press
- Overhead cable extension
- Chest press machine
- Prowler shed pushes
- Single-arm kettle bell shoulder press
- Explosive cable crossovers
You should be progressing with more resistance weight week on week and seeing improvements in your performance.
Image credit: Image by andreas N from Pixabay
I Throw Stuff Shot Put T-Shirt$20.00
Gill Shot Put Return Retriever$1,470.00
VS Shot Put Toe Boards$215.95
VS Shot Put Training Balls$10.95
Shot put retriever$34.95
VS Shot Put Cart$399.00
Soft Shot Put Stop$930.00
VS Iron Shots$24.95
Shot put chalk$21.95